Deciding how to pack and store your personal items can be intimidating and, quite frankly, overwhelming. We are going to provide the top storage tips when moving into a storage facility. We want to make things easier for you during this already-stressful time, so we’ve compiled 20 helpful packing and storage tips for putting your items in a storage space.
TMS’ 20 Best Storage Tips
- Put your most important items in the front of the storage space. That way, if you need to access them, they will be easily accessible.
- When you are filling your storage space, create walkways for yourself.
- Make a list of every item in your storage space and keep it in a safe place.
- When you pack your boxes, write the contents of each box on each side, close it with tape, and number each box. Here at TMS Self Storage we offer moving supplies and will gladly help you figure out your packing needs.
- Use uniform sized boxes for easy stacking.
- Make sure your boxes are sturdy enough to hold 25-30 pounds. We recommend not packing your boxes with too much stuff!
- Put your heaviest boxes on the bottom.
- Wrap photos and mirrors in cardboard and mark “Fragile” on the side. We recommend stacking those fragile items on end.
- Put your sofas on end and storage cushions on the top. However, we do not recommend putting leather sofas or loveseats on end. Always place protective covering under the end on the floor and over your furniture to protect them from dust.
- Prop your mattresses on their side but be sure they are straight so that they don’t end up sagging over time.
- Break down tables with removable legs for additional space.
- Properly wrap all glassware in bubble wrap and make sure the boxes are marked fragile and are placed on the top of the stack of boxes.
- Furniture with drawers can be used as storage for those delicate items. Wrap them in bubble wrap, table cloths, towels or blankets to prevent breakage.
- Use boxes, not plastic bags. Boxes are sturdier and stack well, taking up less space. Also, sealed plastic bags can trap humidity which can cause damaging mildew.
- Before storing a refrigerator, read the manufacturer’s instructions and be sure to leave the fridge door slightly open to avoid mold.
- Appliances need to be clean and dry before storing.
- Large appliances make excellent “packing cases” for blankets, towels, table cloths, and clothes.
- Put items such as shovels, rakes, and hoses inside your empty trash cans, and stack any extra cans inside each other.
- Do not store anything combustible such as gasoline or solvents. Drain out all remaining gasoline from the lawn mowers or power tools before putting in the storage space.
- Do not store anything perishable such as food; this will avoid attracting rodents.
Got questions about our storage tips? Give us a call today at 940.648.5000. Our friendly, onsite customer care team has more great storage tips and can help your find the perfect sized storage space.