Across the globe, COVID-19 has stopped or interrupted many of the things we took for granted before this pandemic. Acts as simple as a handshake or a hug have been put on pause, while we stay in “pandemic pods” or in isolation as we wait for the virus to pass. If your move date is flexible, we recommend waiting to move until the pandemic is over. But for many people, there is simply no way around waiting on a move. So, we’ve compiled 5 simple tips for moving safely during COVID-19.
- Interview the Moving Company First
If you’re hiring a moving company, it’s important to ask some critical questions to ensure a safe moving experience. While most reputable moving companies take the health and safety of their workers and customers seriously, it’s important to find out how they are staying vigilant during this uncertain time. Here are some questions to ask:
- What precautions are your movers taking to stay safe? Are they staying socially distant and wearing masks?
- Are you screening your workers for symptoms of COVID-19?
- How are you keeping your drivers safe?
- Are sick workers told to stay home and seek medical care? Do you require a negative COVID test for your workers after they’ve recovered from a respiratory illness?
- What will you do if you discover that one of your workers or customers has tested positive for COVID-19?
- What safety precautions do you have for me, as your customer?
- What is your rescheduling process during this unprecedented time?
- Are you regularly sanitizing your trucks and moving equipment?
- Get a Virtual Moving Quote
Instead of an in-person moving estimate, choose to schedule a virtual estimate instead. Limiting your in-person contact with others will help slow the spread of the virus, serving as another important step in moving safely during COVID-19.
Before your virtual meeting, remember to fully charge your phone or tablet and ensure you have a strong WiFi signal. We also recommend keeping a tape measure on hand in case your movers need you to measure an item.
- Practice Social Distancing During Your Move
When your movers arrive, greet them with a smile instead of a handshake. Remember to stay six feet apart, propping doors and windows open to ensure steady airflow. Keep vulnerable family members in a separate room or away from the movers. Wash your hands frequently and ask your movers to do so as well. Wipe down door handles, light switches, or any high-touch areas with disinfectant wipes. Wear a mask and avoid touching your face. For more details on moving safely during COVID-19, follow these health and safety tips from the CDC.
- Thoroughly Clean Your New Home
Before moving into your new home, start by doing a deep clean and disinfecting all surfaces, floors, and high touch areas. We recommend sanitizing all the items that may have been touched by your movers. If you want to go the extra mile, let your boxes sit in your home for 24 hours before touching or opening them. Can’t wait that long? Disinfect the boxes before touching them.
- Keep Your Friends Safe
If movers are out of your budget and friends are helping you move instead, it’s important to practice social distancing the same way you would with movers. Before your friends arrive, ask them if they’ve recently displayed any symptoms of COVID or been exposed to anyone with COVID symptoms. If they say yes, then don’t enlist their help. If they have been staying safe and healthy, be sure to wear masks and stay far apart during the move. Want to gift your friends with pizza or food after the move? Instead of eating together, order takeout and have it delivered to their homes to minimize your contact together.
If you’re planning to move your belongings here to TMS Self Storage and have questions about our safety protocols, give us a call. Our customer care team is waiting to talk to you and put you at ease — our top priority is ensuring you are moving safely during COVID-19!