You already own insurance for your car and your health, but have you thought about insurance for your storage unit too? After all, your storage unit contains your personal belongings, which may include family heirlooms, retail inventory, and personal treasures that you’ve worked a lifetime to collect. Trusting your belongings to us – for however long or short a time – means you want to be sure they are being protected. At TMS Self Storage, you can rest assured that we have a strong security system in place designed to give you peace of mind.
How do we help your items stay secure?
At TMS Self Storage, we do everything possible to ensure the security of your belongings.
- We have a great security lighting system in place with motion sensor lighting.
- We have electronically controlled gate access and an enclosed perimeter to ensure that our tenants can get in, but others cannot.
- We have high-tech security and surveillance systems. If an intruder were to enter, we will have video footage to help with identification.
- As an additional benefit, our units have insulated ceilings and intercoms to our office.
In spite of all our precautions, it’s still important to be prepared for anything.
Does your homeowner’s insurance policy offer any coverage?
Did you know your homeowner’s insurance policy may cover some of your “off premise” belongings? Even though they are not stored in your home, some insurance policies still offer protection for items kept in a storage unit. Contact your insurance agency to see what kind of coverage you may have. Most homeowner’s insurance policies include personal property coverage, which offers some protection for clothing, electronics, and furniture from outside risks.
When you may need to purchase self-storage insurance
- If your homeowner’s insurance policy does not cover “off premise” belongings, it’s wise to consider self-storage insurance.
- If you don’t have homeowner’s or renter’s insurance, we’d recommend a self-storage insurance policy, as it covers risks associated with storage units.
- Having self-storage insurance will make filing a claim easier!
How much coverage does your homeowner’s insurance policy offer?
- With most homeowner’s insurance policies, the “off premise” personal property has a limit of up to 50% coverage.
- Renter’s insurance usually only covers items in your self-storage unit for up to 10% of your policy limits.
- Most homeowner insurance policies cover theft, vandalism, fire, and lightning.
What events are covered by self-storage insurance?
- Leaking water (excludes flooding)
What about your vehicles?
If you keep a boat, car, motorcycle, or RV in your storage unit, it must be insured separately. Look into a car storage insurance policy that works for you.
What about valuable items?
Some of your items might be covered up to a specific dollar amount or possibly not covered at all. But you might be able to get an endorsement for extra coverage on certain items. We recommend chatting with one of our friendly employees to learn more. Valuable items include the following:
- Stamp collections
- Deeds and legal documents
- Art collections
What is not covered by self-storage insurance?
- Flooding (Since flooding is not covered in most insurance policies, you may want to consider purchasing an additional flood insurance policy that covers your storage unit.)
- Mold and mildew
When it comes to renting a storage unit, self-storage insurance is not a one-size-fits-all approach. It depends on a variety of factors, including your individual needs and the type of items you are storing. Be sure to consider all the factors involved and give your homeowner’s insurance agent a call to determine what kind of coverage you are eligible to receive.
Here at TMS Self Storage, our friendly staff is happy to chat with you about our security measures and answer any questions you might have about self storage insurance. We want to put your mind at ease! Life has enough worries of its own, and the security of your stored belongings shouldn’t be one of them. If you’re ready to put your belongings in storage, check out our ways to save web page to read about the discounts we offer. Contact us today to talk about your options!